Not far from here is a lane through a field
With a bank and a ditch to one side.
The ditch is quite shallow, the bank is quite low
But its clear that there once water did stand
With a low field boundary wall to one side.
The wall has long gone but its skeleton remains
A few forgotten stones half buried in the grass.
Was it knocked down in 1972?
Or carefully taken apart, stone by stone, in 1950?
Was it built up sturdy and strong in 1824, only to be forgotten about and neglected since?
Were the last hands to touch those stones a drystane dyker in 1700?
Was it forgotten and left to forlornly rot?
Or was it taken down?